Project-based learning in NGSS for VT and NH teachers of grades 5–12
VEEP and NHEEP support grade 5-12 teachers and teacher teams through our Energy Action Project Institute as they plan authentic, standards-anchored, project based learning units and then work with their students on energy projects around conservation, efficiency, or renewable energy. EAPI provides extensive Project Based Learning planning support and partnership with a VEEP/NHEEP educator, who is also available to further support teacher/student teams with energy project planning, resources (including introductions to energy specialists/consultants) and project execution. This program includes all the attributes to support successful PBL, including coherent learning opportunities with embedded transferable skill development, naturally authentic audiences, and room for students to personalize according to interests.
This Professional Development opportunity can be engaged in on a rolling basis for PD hours, or be enriched into a 2-credit graduate course through Castleton University. The program begins with a kick-off and planning meeting earlier in the school year, with support continuing throughout the school year. (There is also a rolling admission option in coordination with VEEP’s Energy Action Program Manager.)
- Program details
Teachers will be supported by VEEP staff through:
- Virtual Student Energy Fair
- Energy project planning and coordination support (VEEP/NHEEP Staff)
- Coordination w/ Energy Specialists/consultants
- Grant application support
- Mini-grants (available directly through VEEP/NHEEP)
- Energy measurement equipment and training
- Monthly/weekly support meetings during project execution
- Coordination with other schools/groups working on similar projects
- Project problem solving and systems navigation expertise
- Ongoing project support available from year-to-year
Kickoff: We will offer various options to meet your needs. Our first virtual training will be scheduled at a time that works for you.
Graduate credit & PD hours
Teachers can choose whether to take this program for:
- Two graduate credits: $750 per teacher
- 8-15 PD hours: $50 per teacher
If your school is unable to pay these funds let us know, we should be able to find a scholarship for you.
Questions are welcome at email@example.com.
Read more about past Green School Energy Challenge projects in this article in the Green Schools National Network.
Register for Energy Action Project Institute